Happy Happy Joy Joy

Random Fact: I used to LOVE to watch Ren and Stimpy.

My mother in law was over for dinner the other night after we had finished our tax returns. She said some things that really got me thinking.

MONEY! What is the deal? What is enough? The stuff goes out faster than it comes in. I wouldn't say I "love" money but it really makes things easier. Over the last few years we have learned a lot about things more important than money. When you are 8 months pregnant, have 3 boys, a new house and your husband has no job, you start to appreciate the value of money a little more but you also realize that it is only money. Lately, things for us have been a little more stressful. Having a baby means extra expenses. I know that some of these are purely wants on my part. It is a girl after 4 boys so I may have gone a little overboard. None the less, dwindling bank account equals stress.

I use TurboTax to file our income tax returns. I have never had a problem with them and they really break it down for me. The most amazing part of this software though is the little number at the top that shows the amount of your refund as you go.

**Can I just apologize to anyone who owes at the end of the year. That would stink. My advice, have some kids.**

So, I am sitting at the computer inputting numbers into boxes from various forms. I am checking to make sure we get all the deductions we can possibly get. As I continue through the hundreds of pages of questions this little green number in the corner is climbing higher and higher. I am starting to feel pretty good about this. I would say that my mood went from stressed and overwhelmed to joyful even. I felt JOYFUL.

JOY: the emotion of great delight or happiness caused by something exceptionally good or satisfying

WOW. Caused by something exceptionally good or satisfying.

1 Chron. 16:27
Splendor and majesty are before him;
strength and joy in his dwelling place.

Job 6:10
Then I would still have this consolation—
my joy in unrelenting pain—
that I had not denied the words of the Holy One.

Psalm 4:6-8
6 Many are asking, "Who can show us any good?"
Let the light of your face shine upon us, O LORD.

7 You have filled my heart with greater joy
than when their grain and new wine abound.

8 I will lie down and sleep in peace,
for you alone, O LORD,
make me dwell in safety.

Job, in the midst of everything, had joy. Where is the source of my joy? Is it in money? Joy is something I should have all of the time regardless of my circumstances. Joy is found in His presence, not in a tax return.

Another day, another humbling experience with God.

0 comments: