Time to grow up

I am not the best housekeeper.

I also think that is an understatement.

I know that no one actually enjoys cleaning but I just cannot make myself get up and do it some days. Call it lazy, procrastination, whatever. It's just how it is. When the house gets messy I tend to leave and when I leave I tend to spend money. See the problem?

In my daily bible reading I have been learning about Joseph. Joseph had every reason in the world to be bitter. He was sold by his brothers into slavery yet in every chapter, no matter how much worse his situation got, he prospered. As a slave he was put in charge of the entire household. In prison the bible said that the warden didn't even have to worry about anything because Joseph was in charge. I can't imagine that he was given these responsibilities because he was moping in the corner. He was noticed for the hard work and good attitude he had despite of where he was.

Now I am not saying that I am in any way in a situation similar to his. I am beyond blessed and I think that I could use a lesson in appreciating what I do have and taking care of what God has given me. Instead of complaining about all the dishes I have to wash or the time I spend in the kitchen cooking I should be thankful that I have never had to go hungry. My children get three meals and a million snacks every day. I look at the huge laundry pile and instead of counting the number of loads and hours of washing and folding I need to see that my children have clothes that fit. They aren't depending on others old clothes (not that there is anything wrong with that and I will take them if anyone wants to share!). They will never have to go barefoot and they will never have to be cold. I look around the house in general and there are toys everywhere. We have so much stuff that there is no more room to put it. There are floors to clean and a yard to mow. But at the same time this is where my kids grow. It's where they play and invite friends to play.

I am not comparing Charles to a prison warden but I would like him to not worry when he isn't around about the things at home. I want him to know without a doubt that his needs will be met. At this moment I am sure he has to wonder about things or ask me to make sure they are done. I want him to know that I am not out spending money recklessly. I kind of have a habit of doing that occasionally. :)

I am not trying to brag about anything or act like I have so much more than everyone. I just need to realize that I do have a lot. That God has given me a lot and it is time that I am more responsible for those things. I want my children to appreciate what they have and not take for granted how blessed we are.

Like everything else though, I can only do one day at a time.

0 comments: