Mind Your Own Business!

OK. Let me start by saying I TRY to be a nice person. Really. Some of you are already laughing. I am not naturally a nice person. If you knew me in high school or even just a few years ago you may have seen this side of me. I genuinely try very hard to be nice to people, all people. But, people make it very hard. It's like they taunt me.

Example 1:
I'm sitting in church with a friend who is holding my new baby. I ran out of the house that morning completely forgetting her blanket and it's slightly chilly in church. Not a big deal though, she is being held all snug and isn't bothered at all by the frigid temperatures. As church is dismissed a lovely family stops to see the baby and ask all the usual questions. Then, obviously being far superior parents and seeing my lack of competence in caring for a newborn, they ask why she doesn't have a blanket.

"Well, ma'am, I was in a hurry getting here this morning and forgot to grab it on the way out the door."

She then proceeds to tell me that I should have brought her one and that the sanctuary was much to cold for her. Maybe I should go to the nursery and see if they had one I could use. See her feet? They are just purple she is so cold.

I stopped responding at that point. I probably shouldn't even admit what I was thinking at that point.

Example 2:
Standing in a group, again discussing the new baby, comments were made about how much hair she has. My comment was just that I really hope it stays and doesn't fall out. Ms. Optimism decides to chime in and says... Don't worry it will fall out, then you will just have to wait for it to grow back in.

I am pretty sure I wasn't asking for opinions but thanks for making me hear yours.

Example 3:
I am at the beach. Yes, I take my 6 week old to the beach. She was only 3 weeks old the first time she went. Anyway, here we are, baby is 6 weeks old at the beach. I bring her chair and an umbrella. She stays in the shade and someone is always with her and there is a good breeze so she really isn't getting too hot. Toward the end of our time at the beach she starts to get a little fussy so I pick her up and carry her down to the water with me to help round up the boys.

And here she comes. The all knowing woman. They really do have that "look". You can see them coming and you just know they are going to tell you how to take care of your child. They are everywhere! Church, Wal-Mart, grocery stores, and even the beach. Now don't get me wrong, I am all open for advice, suggestions, help, or even criticism. It's really how you approach the subject that aggravates me more than anything. Our conversations goes just a little like this:

Lady: Is she yours?
Me: Yes ma'am. Her and those three little boys.
Lady: How old is she?
Me: Almost 7 weeks. (I was trying to make her sound older because I knew it was coming...)
Lady: Oh. What's on her face? It's a rash, don't you think it is being caused by the heat?
Me: No ma'am, it's baby acne and it is caused by hormones. She had it before we came out here and it should clear up in the next few weeks.
Lady: Well, how old are you?

**Are you kidding me?! You aren't my mom! What if I am 16?! Who does that? Who asks someone how old they are like that? RUDE!**

Me: Ma'am I'm 28.
Lady: Oh. Well, you need to take that baby to the shade. She doesn't need to be in the sun because her skin will burn.

And this is where I stop responding.

I'm sorry but I really just don't understand why perfect strangers feel it's ok to walk up to you and tell you how to take care of your child. I feel I handled these situations really well. A couple of years ago I would have said everything running through my mind at the time. I still say a lot of the things on my mind and if I have offended anyone I apologize. Well, sorta, if it needed to be said and you got offended then I kinda don't feel bad but that just goes back to the 'I'm really not a nice person' statement.

0 comments: