Operation Try New Foods: Pummelo

My boys love to eat. LOVE it! They eat from the 4 basic food groups. Chicken Nuggets, Mac-N-Cheese, Pizza, and Junk. Well, maybe not that bad but still! They turn their little noses up at anything they aren't familiar with and it drives me crazy. At the same time, I know where they get it. I like food but I am very picky. I have gotten better lately but still have a ways to go. Charles is awful about trying anything new. He just refuses. That is why we are starting this new thing at our house. We are going to try new stuff. I am not sure how often we will be doing it but I thought it would be fun for everyone.

Our first round of trying new things was a pummelo. (or at least that is how it was spelled on the sticker)

Check out this for some more info on this fruit.

First, this thing is the size of Rogan's head. It was huge! Looked like a really big grapefruit. Not sure what to look for I followed the directions on the sticker. Big, heavy and yellow.

I cut this thing open and the inside was a whiteish pinky color. Kinda odd. It had a really thick rind and a thick skin between the segments. It took a lot longer than I thought to actually get it cut apart and and ready to eat. It tasted ok. Was sort of like a grapefruit but sweeter. Not as sweet as an orange though. I liked it and Parker LOVED it! He was singing some song about "Oh Pummelo". Charles thought it was really sour which I just don't get but I am glad he tried it. Braxton didn't really like it but he ate it and Rogan said it was too spicy so maybe too acidic?

Overall it was good but took way too long to get ready to eat. I like things to be a little simpler than that. And it was $2.99! There was plenty for everyone but I would rather buy a 3 lb. bag of tangerines for that price!

So, there it is. Not sure what we will get into next but I will let you know how it goes!

0 comments: